There are a multitude of different ways for you to reduce your plastic waste. Most of these tips are easy and cheap, so do your bit for the benefit of the environment. Here are 17 simple ways to use less plastic in your life.
- Stop using plastic straws, they’re often completely unnecessary. Consider purchasing a reusable glass or stainless steel straw that you can carry around with you.
- Carry reusable shopping bags whenever you go shopping (they can be used for anything from groceries to clothing).
- Keep your bottled water purchases to a minimum. Instead, use a refillable bottle.
- Use non-plastic containers for lunches, leftovers and freezing. There are a wide variety of environmentally-friendly options to help you avoid using plastic for storing food, such as stainless steel and glass containers.
- Where possible, buy in bulk in order to minimise or eliminate packaging.
- Avoid beauty products that contain plastic microbeads, such as certain toothpastes, face washes and shower gels.
- Even though disposable coffee cups look like they’re made out of paper they’re often lined with polyethylene, a type of plastic resin. Carry your own coffee mug or thermos instead.
- Give up gum. It is made of a synthetic rubber. Where possible buy plastic-free chewing gum instead.
- If you buy fast food that requires cutlery, carry reusable utensils so that you don’t have to use plastic ones.
- Use matches or a refillable metal lighter instead of disposable plastic lighters.
- Reduce your baby’s carbon footprint and save money by using cloth diapers instead of disposables.
- Make your own freshly-squeezed juice instead of buying juice in plastic bottles.
- Use razors that have replaceable blades instead of disposable ones.
- Buy fresh bread that comes in paper bags instead of plastic ones.
- Use bar soap instead of liquid soap.
- Stop buying frozen convenience meals. Make your own healthy food at home instead.
- Stop using toxic chemicals that come in plastic bottles and clean with vinegar, baking soda and water.
Averda is a leading waste management provider with over 50 years of experience across three continents. Through growth, transformation and engagement, we strive to find new ways of managing waste while protecting the community and environment.
By pairing international expertise with local insights, we have secured our position as one of South Africa’s most respected providers of waste management and industrial cleaning services. We also operate in the recycling, pipe inspection, CCTV, infrastructure inspection, hydro-demolition, high-pressure water jetting and catalyst handling industries.
Follow us Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn for the best tips on recycling and the latest industry news. See our Instagram and YouTube channels for more insights into environmental affairs and our work with local communities.